Thursday, January 16, 2014

Alt-J - Band Review

Alt-J

   Now, Alt-J is a band a fell in love with the first time I heard their music. They have a very unique sound that draws in a listener right away, whether you like it or not is a different question. A friend of mine I was spending some time with one evening decided to show me this band. Quite honestly? I was scared at first, the music seemed a bit odd and I wasn't sure if I would like it; but, then I heard the vocalist and the way this band seems to create break-downs. Nearly everyone of their songs has me entranced when I hear it. Their first and only album thus far An Awesome Wave is probably in my top 50 albums of all time. Be warned, their music has a very unique sound and is not for everyone. 

      This band, unlike Drayter I have had the opportunity to see this band live, and I was the most excited I have been in a very long time to see a band live. Sadly, the performance was disappointing. The band lacked a lot of stage presence, but that can't be helped, they have performer locked behind a keyboard, and a drummer locked behind a drum kit and synthesizer. The lead singer of the band was stuck center stage the whole time, strumming away at his guitar and it was unappealing to the eye. The only active member of the band was the bassist, and I enjoyed watching him the whole show. Another thing I noticed while watching them live was that they had an entirely different sound to them. Perhaps it is hard to mimic their very unique sound live, but it felt like both of the vocalists were off pitch and their timing was a bit off as-well. 

Though their live performance lacked on many levels; but, I am in love with their album, and they are still a band worth checking out for sure.

My Rating: 3.5 out of 5.



No comments:

Post a Comment